Domestic violence is a grave offense that can have a significant impact on your future. You can minimize the potential consequences by seeking the services of a Sacramento domestic violence attorney.
Domestic violence charges are among the most serious legal situations that require the expertise of an attorney. Convictions for these charges can result in heavy fines, imprisonment, and other life-altering penalties. Without competent legal representation, you risk having your life shattered by a crime you did not commit.
To avoid such outcomes, hire a Sacramento domestic violence lawyer from Crowell Law Offices. Our team of experienced attorneys has helped numerous victims prove their innocence and avoid severe sentences, and we can assist you as well.
Domestic Violence Penalties
In California, the penalties for a domestic violence conviction can be quite severe. While the circumstances of each case vary, even the least severe sentences can have significant implications for your life.
Here are some of the penalties you may face if found guilty of a domestic violence charge in California:
- Completion of a fifty-two-week battery education and reform program
- Jail time, ranging from a few days to several years depending on the specifics of your case
- Fines totaling between $6,000 and $10,000, depending on whether this is your first conviction
- Prohibition from owning firearms
- Mandatory anger management classes
- Forced removal from the residence
The wide range of potential sentences for domestic violence in California underscores the importance of having a Sacramento domestic abuse lawyer by your side. We can help you avoid severe sentencing and, in some cases, even secure an acquittal.
Defenses Your Sacramento Domestic Violence Attorney May Employ
Without a qualified and knowledgeable attorney, developing a strong defense strategy becomes nearly impossible. It takes an experienced legal professional to identify the factors in your case that support specific defense tactics.
Without a robust defense, you may face the harshest possible sentencing.
Some potential defense strategies your Sacramento domestic violence attorney may utilize include:
- Self-Defense – One of the most commonly employed defense strategies in domestic violence and assault cases. Your attorney will demonstrate that any harm inflicted on the other party was a result of your need to defend yourself.
- Consent – In certain cases, your attorney may argue that the harm caused to the other party resulted from consensual acts that were requested by them.
- The Wrong Abuser – Another viable defense in domestic violence cases involves proving that the injuries or damages sustained by the other party were not caused by you. Instead, they were the result of another individual’s actions, and you are being wrongly held accountable for their crimes.
Turn to a Sacramento Domestic Abuse Lawyer
If you are facing accusations of domestic violence, the attorneys at Crowell Law Offices are here to support you.
To discuss your case and strategize on how to overcome the charges against you, call a Sacramento domestic violence lawyer today at 916-303-2800. Alternatively, you can reach out online by filling out the contact form available at the bottom of this page.