John Alexander is a highly regarded attorney and a valuable member of the prestigious law firm, Rainey, Kizer, Reviere & Bell, P.L.C. He brings a wealth of expertise to the table, having previously served as a law clerk to Judge Holly M. Kirby of the Tennessee Court of Appeals, Western Section. Primarily specializing in medical malpractice defense, insurance defense, and insurance coverage, Mr. Alexander is well-equipped to handle complex legal matters in these areas. In addition, he represents healthcare providers before Tennessee’s various medical Boards and is adept at litigating contract disputes. Mr. Alexander’s impressive skill set makes him an invaluable member of the firm’s Malpractice Group and the Tort and Insurance Group.
Unsurprisingly, Mr. Alexander’s exceptional legal acumen has earned him widespread recognition and accolades. He holds the highest attorney rating (AV) from Martindale-Hubbell, a testament to his professionalism and skill. Furthermore, he has been consistently acknowledged by Super Lawyers ® magazine for his outstanding work in medical malpractice defense.
Mr. Alexander actively contributes to the legal community through his involvement in various professional associations. He is an esteemed member of the following organizations:
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association
Commitment to the Community
Apart from his legal work, Mr. Alexander is deeply committed to making a positive impact in his community. He has served on numerous committees and held key positions in various organizations. His noteworthy contributions include:
- Chairing the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education in 2020 and previously in 2019 and 2018.
- Playing an integral role in the Bridge the Gap Implementation Task Force Committee since 2019.
- Serving as a Commissioner on the Memphis City Beautiful Commission from 2011 to 2015.
Recent Publications and Speaking Engagements
Mr. Alexander’s expertise extends beyond the courtroom and into sharing his knowledge with others. He has been invited to speak at prominent events and has contributed to industry publications. Some of his recent speaking engagements include:
- Speaker at the TPA 2023 Annual Seminar, presenting on “Health Care Liability: A—to—Z” on April 28, 2023.
- Speaker at the Tort & Insurance Forum 2023, organized by the Tennessee Bar Association, discussing “Disclosure of Experts” on February 23, 2023.
- Addressing the Tennessee Nursing Association, Districts 1-15, Statewide, on “Healthcare Liability During the Covid-19 Pandemic” on January 14, 2021.
- Sharing insights on “Healthcare Liability and Regulatory Compliance for Nurses and Nurse Practitioners” at the Tennessee Nursing Association for District 15, covering Wilson and Rutherford Counties, on November 11, 2019.
- Presenting on “The Law and Nursing” at the University of Memphis Community Health Building as part of the Tennessee Nursing Association’s National Nursing Week Meeting on May 24, 2018.
- Speaking on “Exclusionary and Inclusionary Motions in Limine” at the TBA 2017 Annual Review, hosted by the Tennessee Bar Association, on August 11, 2017.
- Delivered a talk on “Advanced Civil Litigation Skills in Tennessee: Motions in Limine” at an event organized by the National Business Institute on December 6, 2016.
- Sharing practice pointers for taking and defending expert depositions in a talk titled “Experts and Expert Depositions: Practice Pointers for Taking and Defending Expert Depositions” at the University of Memphis FedEx Institute of Technology, as part of the Tennessee Bar Association’s General Practice Summit on August 21, 2015.
- Discussing strategies for minimizing damages in injury settlements using the ACA in Tennessee during a presentation titled “Using the ACA to Minimize Damages in Injury Settlements in Tennessee” at the University of Memphis Fogelman Center, organized by the National Business Institute, on December 18, 2014.
Mr. Alexander’s expertise and dedication to his craft are also evident in his written works. He has contributed to esteemed publications, including:
- “Getting Back to the Basics: ‘Bedside Manner'” in the Medical Malpractice Newsletter, Fall 2016 issue [source].
- “Life Care Plans and Experts: Defending Against a Claim for Future Medical Expenses” in The Journal, Vol. 1, Issue 1, Fall 2015, published by the Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association.
- “Collaborating with Advanced Practice Registered Nurses and Physician Assistants” in the Mississippi Hospital Magazine, Vol. 19, Number 1, Summer 2014, co-authored with Amanda Waddell.
- “Supervision of Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants: Written Protocols” in the Medical Malpractice Newsletter, Fall 2013 Issue.
In addition to his impressive legal accomplishments, Mr. Alexander is also known for his comment titled “Blair v. West Town Mall: The Tennessee Supreme Court Modifies the Doctrine of Constructive Notice, Adding to the Plaintiff’s Arsenal Without Stripping the Premises Owner of Traditional Protections” published in the 35 U. Mem. L. Rev. 559 (2005).
Mr. Alexander’s vast experience, exceptional legal skills, and dedication to his community make him an invaluable asset at Rainey, Kizer, Reviere & Bell, P.L.C. To learn more about the firm and its exceptional team of attorneys, visit Garrity Traina.