John Collins is a highly accomplished attorney, serving as a partner in the Vorys Houston office and specializing in the litigation group. With extensive experience in various practice areas, including commercial and business litigation, personal injury litigation, and insurance coverage and defense, John is a valuable asset to his clients. His expertise also extends to defending employers against claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation in both state and federal court, as well as representing them before administrative agencies in Texas and New Mexico. Additionally, John dedicates a significant portion of his practice to handling real property tax valuation disputes and appeals, effectively litigating such matters throughout the state of Texas.
Areas of Practice
John is not only a skilled litigator but also a renowned speaker and author on employment-related matters. He frequently shares his insights on topics such as the preparation of employee handbooks and policies, completion of the Form I-9, and trade secret litigation. With his exceptional knowledge and experience, John ensures that his clients are well-informed and prepared to navigate the complexities of their cases.
John’s career highlights include numerous successful cases in commercial litigation, personal injury, and employment litigation. Some notable achievements include:
- Representing a businessman in a complex first-party insurance dispute, skillfully handling oral arguments on multiple dispositive motions. This resulted in a remarkable seven-figure settlement for the client.
- Obtaining dismissals of environmental claims and civil RICO claims against a real estate developer in federal court. Subsequently, obtaining summary judgment in favor of the developer against nuisance and trespass claims filed in state court.
- Prosecuting and defending lawsuits involving fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties, and professional negligence.
- Serving as lead counsel in a case concerning a dispute over easement rights, ultimately obtaining a temporary restraining order and temporary injunction.
- Being an integral member of a trial team in a construction case related to renovations at a regional airport. The jury rendered a verdict in favor of the client.
- Successfully securing a complete dismissal of health care liability claims, which were asserted against an emergency services organization and its employee. The case was resolved favorably on appeal.
- Achieving a complete dismissal of civil rights claims under 42 U.S.C. §1983 against municipalities, private medical contractors, and medical professionals.
- Obtaining summary judgments in favor of a governmental entity and a traffic control company in a personal injury lawsuit.
- Winning summary judgment for a traffic control company in a case arising from a motorcycle accident.
- Serving as lead counsel in a wrongful death lawsuit against a hotel franchisor and franchisee, stemming from a nationally reported accident involving an 18-wheeler.
- Being a pivotal member of the trial team in a traumatic brain injury case, resulting in a complete defense verdict.
- Winning summary judgment in favor of an emergency services organization in a whistleblower retaliation case.
- Playing a critical role in a trial team that achieved a complete defense verdict in a workers’ compensation retaliation case.
- Skillfully representing employers before various administrative bodies, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, the Texas Workforce Commission, the Texas Department of Insurance, the New Mexico Human Rights Bureau, and the New Mexico Workers Compensation Administration.
Education and Background
Before joining Vorys, John Collins obtained his J.D. cum laude from Baylor Law School, where he was an active member of the prestigious Baylor Law Review and the Baylor Barrister Society. He also holds a B.A. summa cum laude from Texas A&M University.
To learn more about John Collins and his exceptional legal skills, visit Garrity Traina’s official website.